Bang & Olufsen Legal Section
As a global luxury audio brand, Bang & Olufsen is increasingly a target for counterfeiters around the world.
How to avoid counterfeiters
Version 1.5 Published: November 2019
As a global luxury audio brand, Bang & OIufsen is increasingly a target for counterfeiters around the world. Copying a Bang & Olufsen product is stealing the craftmanship of the company and infringing the work of our designers.
In Bang & Olufsen we have spent nearly a century on refining our capabilities within sound, design and craftmanship. You will never experience the same quality in a counterfeit product. Furthermore, fake products rarely comply with health and safety requirements, which especially relates to security of batteries, chargers or other electronics inside of the counterfeits. Only genuine Bang & Olufsen products are made with the skill and care that our customers deserve.
How to avoid buying counterfeit B&O products
Bang & Olufsen distributes its products via Authorized Resellers only. By purchasing from Authorized Resellers or from the Bang & Olufsen website you can avoid the disappointments of buying a counterfeit product.
How to detect a counterfeit B&O product
Counterfeiters are often very good at imitating the immediate looks of a product. At first sight it may therefore be difficult to detect a counterfeit product from a genuine Bang & Olufsen product. However, the following would be very strong indications that a product is counterfeit:
- Poor sound quality
- Mediocre craftmanship
- Strong chemical smell
- Extremely low price
- No connectivity to the Bang & Olufsen App
If you want to report any suspicion of counterfeit Bang & Olufsen products, do not hesitate to contact our anti-counterfeit unit by writing an email to email@example.com
Why you shouldn´t buy a counterfeit product
- When you buy counterfeit merchandise, you are giving your money to a dishonest person. The seller is committing a crime by selling you the merchandise.
- Fighting counterfeit products is a costly affair, but we do it to ensure our customers get the product and quality experience they expect both in terms of rich, powerful sound and the attention to detail and use of genuine materials Bang & Olufsen is known for.
- You’re probably buying cheap merchandise. Counterfeiters are generally out there to make a quick buck. They probably don’t care about repeat business, meaning they have little incentive to put quality into what they sell. Therefore, what you buy may fall apart or stop working soon after you buy it – or, in worst case – contain hazardous materials that can cause real harm (e.g. unstable and flammable batteries).
- Counterfeiters are often difficult to locate and you may have nowhere to go with a possible warranty issue or a product liability claim.
B&O product authentication labels
We have been testing a special authentication labels on some of our products. In the bottom of this page you can see an example of the label.
The test period is now finalized and we decided to stop labeling our products. We have also decided to stop the services used to scan labels on products. However, the products A1, P2, P6 and E8 may still have an authentication label on the packaging.
PLEASE NOTE! Even though it is no longer possible to scan the label it does not mean that the product is a counterfeit!